Netball NZ Open Champs cancelled due to Covid-19 outbreak
Netball New Zealand has made the decision to cancel the upcoming Netball NZ Open Champs, presented by NZ Police, due to the effects of the current Covid-19 outbreak in New Zealand.
Palmerston North was set to host the Netball NZ Open Champs from 7-12 September however, the event has now been rescheduled for the same location in 2022.
It would have been the inaugural year for the event after it was cancelled in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Netball NZ chief executive Jennie Wyllie said it was another difficult decision to make, especially after the event was also cancelled last year.
“We are extremely disappointed to be in this position again and particularly feel for the players who miss the opportunity to compete at this tournament, some for a second year running,” she said.
“However, given the uncertainty around the current outbreak we must once again ensure the health and safety of all participants is our number one priority.
“We are thankful that we were able to deliver the inaugural Celebration Box Netball NZ U18 Champs in July this year and look forward to delivering a full domestic events calendar in 2022.”
2022 Event Details
Netball NZ Open Champs, presented by NZ Police
Tuesday 6 - Saturday 10 September, 2022
Central Energy Trust Arena in Palmerston North